Monday, September 1, 2008

Prideful Heart Vs. Humble Heart

Yesterday, the Lord really opened up my heart with the message from the pastor at my church, Solid Rock. (Note: there hasnt been a message there that I havent been touched by) The message focused on how to know if you are having a prideful heart. Because a lot of people always are quick to judge others for having in inflated ego, but hardly ever notice their own problems. Just like Jesus said... do not focus on the speck in your brother's eye before you take out the log in yours.

It hit home for me because I think overall I am a humble person, but in saying that I am having pride in being humble. I also have been know to say that I am a good teacher and districts dont realized what they are missing out on by not hiring me. And that statement in and of itself reaks of pride. I also always wonder why I dont have a boyfriend because I would say that I am a good catch. And yet again another statement that has its basis in pride. I realized it is a fine line between pride and actual humility. People often hide pride in the phrase "self-esteem". But there is a difference in having a strong sense of self and promoting yourself. If you have to keep telling people how great you are, no one will actually have time to discover that for themselves.

During the sermon I was convicted. I need to work on thanking God for things that go well in my life instead of thinking it had anything to do with me. I need to do things that God would admire in me and quit trying to make other people like me to build my "self-esteem".

No comments: