Friday, October 3, 2008

Crazy?!?!

Last Sunday I was at Sunday school at my aunt and grandma's church. We were discussing a passage from the Bible, I think from Acts??, where scrolls were burned that were worth TONS of money because the sorcerers, or whatever, gave their lives to God and were getting rid of everything that was poisoning their lives.

Since the scrolls were worth a lot of money, someone made the point (for arguments sake, I do not believe they actually would have done this) that they could have sold the scrolls and gotten some money out of it. But if they would have sold the scrolls it would have just been passing on the sin instead of getting rid of it. Which is like saying "these things are destroying my life so I must get rid of them, but its okay if they destroy your life." In selling the scrolls it would have also created another sin, love of money over God.

During class I began to think of how this related to my life. I think the sin that has been laying on my heart for awhile is the Sex and the City series. I own all the seasons and the movie came out a few months ago. Since I gave my life to Christ, I have not been into the series. I believe with my whole heart the Lord was telling me that I needed to give up this vice and actually did not go see the movie (although I did read about how it ended). It was not so much the series but what the series stood for: promoting casual sex and promiscuity. I did not want to take part in that anymore.

Even though this is my belief, I kept the DVDs of the series, telling myself that it was ok as long as I was not watching them. Which is stupid when you think about it. I even toyed with the idea of selling them on CraigsList or something, but never got around to it. So, back to the Sunday school connection, I think the Lord used the lesson to bring to my attention my "scrolls" (or Sex and the City DVDs) and how they were weighing me down and keeping me from being closer to him. Even though I didnt watch them, they were there in my space. And I couldnt sell them because that was just passing a sin on and not getting rid of it.

So... what did I do??? The people in the Bible burned their scrolls... I threw mine away!!

Crazy?!?!? Maybe.

Crazy for the Lord?!?!? Absolutely!!

No comments: